A lot of us depend on skincare products and cosmetics to enhance our beauty and to improve our skin, however the sad fact is most of these products contain harmful chemicals and ingredients. The excessive use of these ingredients can harm your skin rather than improving it from its original condition. Unfortunately, when we buy cosmetics, we are more concerned about the brand than what the product actually consists. This is exactly why despite of we investing so much money for buying expensive skin creams, face wash or anti-aging creams, we don’t necessarily get the desired effect on our skin.
To help you choose the right kind of cosmetics for your skin and avoid causing harm, we have made a list of ingredients that one should avoid exposing their skin to. Here are the 9 skin care ingredients that can harm your skin.
- Paraben: The name Paraben is not alien to anyone who reads what their cosmetics consist of. Ingredients like Methylparaben, propylparaben and Butylparaben are widely used in moisturizers, deodorants and some cosmetics, which leads to excess production of estrogen and may lead to breast cancer. There are studies that confirm the fact that most breast tumors contain Paraben and it is known to stimulate the damage caused by harmful UV rays.
- Fragrances: Sprays contain artificial fragrance, which is usually made from petroleum and coal. These fragrances can trigger severe asthmatic reaction, dizziness, nausea, allergies and skin disorders. They might also be a catalyst for reproductive dysfunction and cancers, hence it is advisable to opt for natural oils and scents over artificial fragrance.
- Toluene: Toluene is used to add gloss and stickiness in nail-polish, hair-dyes and most synthetic fragrance. They are made from tar or petroleum which is harmful if used excessively. It can cause kidney damage, asthma, anemia, liver and kidney damage and responsible for reducing blood cell count.
- FD&C color pigments: Most synthetic colors are made from coal tar and contain toxic metals that can cause skin irritation and allergy. If absorbed in the system, they can cause diminish the oxygen in our body and can be fatal. Studies conducted on most of these FD&C color pigments have shown most of them to be carcinogenic.
- Triclosan: Triclosan is an anti-bacterial ingredient which is present in most of the products like hand-sanitizers, toothpastes, liquids soaps, deodorants, mouthwashes, detergents and cleansers. However recent research has proven Triclosan as a pesticide as opposed to its previous status as an ingredient for cosmetics. It contains a high risk for human health and our environment and is toxic and carcinogenic. It is best to avoid the use of products that have concentrated amounts of Triclosan.
- Propylene Glycol/ Polyethylene Glycol: PEG as it is commonly known is an ingredient that penetrates our skin and can breakdown the cellular structure and protein in the skin cells. It is not meant to be used in cosmetics and personal care products however there are quite a few companies that use PG in their cosmetics, hair care products and mouthwashes. This can lead to liver, kidney and brain damage.
- Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives: These are commonly found in moisturizers and hair products and are considered to be a probable carcinogenic agent in humans. Some common names for these preservatives are DHDM, methenamine, quaternium-15, diaxolidinyl urea and imidazolidinyl which can cause eye damage, depression, headaches, fatigue, headaches and dizziness.
- DEA (diethanolamine), TEA (Triethanolamine) and MEA (Monoethanolamine): These 3 ingredients are known as hormone disrupting ingredients that can lead to cancer-causing nitrates. These are widely used in shampoos, bubble baths, detergents and shaving creams and can cause kidney and liver cancer. Children should not be exposed at all to these ingredients as they act faster on children than grown-ups.
- Alcohol: Alcohol or Isopropyl (SD40) can severely dry your skin making it itchy and dehydrated. Dry skin is prone to bacteria and viruses and can lead to eczema and other skin diseases. Alcohol is usually present in hair products, hand sanitizers, fragrances etc. and is also a major cause of skin aging. It might also bring about nausea, dizziness, narcosis, vomiting, and may cause coma in extreme situations.
The majority of these chemical compounds are popular inside the cosmetics and solutions we use, having said that ahead of now it was as a consequence of our negligence. Now that you are aware of the ill effects of these cosmetics, it is best you stop the use of these for you and your family. Instead use natural and herbal ingredients that are gentle on your skin. As a rule keep in mind, if a certain ingredient is not safe to eat, then you might as well not apply on your skin. Go green and use safe products.